3. Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of production of genetically modified crops.
GM crops are genetically modified crops that can be made by transferring desirable characteristics in them. The main advantage of GM crops is that they are highly productive and they yield an increased amount of produce. The other advantages of the production of genetically modified crops in order to increase the yield are as follows:
1. GM crops can be developed for increasing the nutritional quality of crop products. For example golden rice with enhanced vitamin, A content is a GM crop.
2. Many GM crops are developed to have insect pest resistance, thus, decreasing our dependence on chemical-based insecticides/pesticides.
3. GM crops are made to be highly tolerant of environmental conditions.
4. Gm crops are highly tolerant to abiotic conditions
5. GM Crops minimises post-harvesting losses.
GM crops possess some disadvantages also. The presence of a transgene in commercial crops endangers wild species. The gene for Bt toxin expressed in pollen endangers pollinators such as honeybees. These crops supply allergens and transfer antibiotic resistance markers. They are damaging to the genetic environment.