13. Find out the role of microbes in the following
(a) Single cell protein (SCP)
Microorganisms like bacteria, yeast etc can be cultured on a large scale in the fermenters. They can be treated in many ways, dried and used as a food source or animal feed. These microorganisms that can be used as potential sources of proteins for animals and humans are called single cell protein. SCP is rich in proteins and can be produced in laboratories.
The major advantage of SCP is as follows:
1. The production of SCP do not depend upon climatic factors,
2. The microorganism grows at a very fast rate and requires very less space
3. The cost of production of SCP is very less.
4. Microorganisms used as substrates are otherwise pollutants so it also reduces pollution