1. Mention the advantages of selecting pea plant for experiment by Mendel.
The advantages of selecting garden pea (Pisum sativum) for experiments by Mendel were –
1. Pea has many visibly distinct contrasting characters.
2. The life span of the pea plant is short and they produce many seeds in one generation.
3. Pea flowers are bisexual and show self-pollination, reproductive whorls being enclosed by corolla.
4. It is easy to artificially cross-pollinate the pea flowers. The hybrids thus produced were fertile.
Create Your Account