6. Why does ozone hole form over Antarctica? How will enhanced ultraviolet radiation affect us?
The countries like USA, Japan, and other European countries, emit a lot of ozone-depleting substances such as These chemicals are released in the stratosphere and they drift towards poles before the onset of winters. During winter, ice clouds are formed over Antarctica with no sunrise. It catalyses the release of Cl from CFCs. During springs, the Cl reacts with ozone and convert it into free oxygen causing depletion of ozone and formation of the ozone hole.
Effects of enhanced UV radiations
1. Snow blindness
2. Inflammation of cornea
3. Damage of skin cells and development of skin cancer
4. Increased incidence of herpes
5. Damage to nucleic acids and proteins
6. Increased blindness in animals
7. Reduced immunity
8. Reduction in photosynthesis