5. Cut a transverse section of young stem of a plant from your school garden and observe it under the microscope. How would you ascertain whether it is a monocot stem or a dicot stem? Give reasons.
An unknown sample can be identified to be either dicot stem or monocot stem based on the following characteristics-
Characteristics of a dicot stem-
1. The vascular bundles are conjoint, collateral, and open, with a strip of cambium between the xylem and phloem.
2. The vascular bundles are arranged to form a ring, around the centrally-located pith
3. The ground tissue is differentiated into the collenchyma, parenchyma, endodermis, pericycle, and pith.
4. In between the vascular bundles, medullary rays are present.
Characteristics of monocot stem-
1. The hypodermis is made up of sclerenchyma.
2. The Vascular bundles are conjoint, closed and scattered.
3. Each vascular bundle is surrounded by a sclerenchymatous bundle sheath.
4. Phloem parenchyma is absent.
5. Water-containing cavities are present within the vascular bundles.
Create Your Account