11. What are the modifications that are observed in birds that help them fly?
Modifications in birds to help them fly are as follows:
1. The bones of birds are pneumatic. These contain air cavities making the bones light. This feature helps the birds in flying.
2. The body of birds is streamlined offering least resistance while flying.
3. Flight muscles are well developed
4. Forelimbs of birds are modified into wings to allow flying. Hindlimbs are used for walking, perching etc.
5. Additional air sacs are present to supplement respiration.