10. Consult internet and find out how to make orally active protein pharmaceutical. What is the major problem to be encountered?
9. Does our blood have proteases and nucleases?
8. Find out from internet what is golden rice.
7. Can you suggest a method to remove oil (hydrocarbon) from seeds based on your understanding of rDNA technology and chemistry of oil?
6. Diagrammatically represent the experimental steps in cloning and expressing a human gene (say the gene for growth hormone) into a bacterium like E. coli?
5. What is gene therapy? Illustrate using the example of adenosine deaminase (ADA) deficiency.
4. What are Cry proteins? Name an organism that produces it. How has man exploited this protein to his benefit?
3. Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of production of genetically modified crops.
2. What are transgenic bacteria? Illustrate using any one example.
Q1. Crystals of Bt toxin produced by some bacteria do not kill the bacteria themselves because –
(a) bacteria are resistant to the toxin
(b) toxin is immature
(c) toxin is inactive
(d) bacteria encloses toxin in a special sac.
3. From what you have learnt, can you tell whether enzymes are bigger or DNA is bigger in molecular size? How did you know?