10. Can you think of a situation where we deliberately want to make a species extinct? How would you justify it?
9. The species diversity of plants (22 per cent) is much less than that of animals (72 per cent). What could be the explanations to how animals achieved greater diversification?
8. Among the ecosystem services are control of floods and soil erosion. How is this achieved by the biotic components of the ecosystem?
7. What are sacred groves? What is their role in conservation?
6. How is biodiversity important for ecosystem functioning?
5. What are the major causes of species losses in a geographical region?
4. What is the significance of the slope of regression in a species – area relationship?
3. Give three hypotheses for explaining why tropics show greatest levels of species richness.
2. How do ecologists estimate the total number of species present in the world?
1. Name the three important components of biodiversity.