Q&A - Ask Doubts and Get Answers

Sort by :
Clear All
Q

11  An article was purchased for Rs 1,239 including GST of 18%. Find the price of the article before GST was added?

Given, GST = 18% Cost with GST included = Rs. 1239 Cost without GST  = x Rs.   cost before GST+ GST = cost with GST x = 1050 Price before GST = 1050 rupees

10 I purchased a hair-dryer for Rs 5,400 including 8% VAT. Find the price before VAT was added. 

 

Given, VAT = 8% Let the original price be Rs. 100    Original price +  VAT  = Rs. 100 + Rs.     Original price +  VAT  = Rs. 100 + Rs. 8 = Rs. 108  If the price after VAT is Rs.5400, then the price before VAT is   The price before VAT was added is Rs. 5000.

9  Arun bought a pair of skates at a sale where the discount given was 20%. If the amount he pays is Rs 1,600, find the marked price.

The discount given was 20% which means if CP is Rs. 100 then the SP is Rs. 80  If SP is Rs. 80 then CP is Rs. 100 For SP of Rs. 1600, CP  The marked price is Rs. 2000.

8  The price of a TV is Rs 13,000. The sales tax charged on it is at the rate of 12%. Find the amount that Vinod will have to pay if he buys it.

Given,  Cost price of the TV = Rs. 13000 Sales tax at the rate of 12%  Selling price = CP + Sales Tax = CP + 12% of CP = 112% of CP =  Vinod will have to pay Rs. 14,560.  

7 A milkman sold two of his buffaloes for Rs 20,000 each. On one hand, he made a gain of 5% and on the other a loss of 10% Find his overall gain or loss. (Hint: Find CP of each) 

Given,  The milkman sold two of his buffaloes for Rs 20,000 each. This is the Selling price of the buffaloes. Let CP of one of the buffalo be Rs. X and the other be Rs. Y Since he made a profit of 5% on one of them.  105% of X = Rs. 20000  X = Rs. 19047.6  Similarly, since he made a loss of 10% on the other.  90% of Y = Rs. 20000  Y = Rs. 22222.2  Net CP = Rs.(19047.6 + 22222.2) = Rs....

6 During a sale a shop offered a discount of 10% on the market prices of all the items. What would a customer have to pay for a pair of jeans marked at Rs 1450 and two shirts marked at Rs 850 each?

Since the 10% discount is on all the items, we can calculate the Selling price by totaling the Cost price of all item bought. Now, Total Cost price(CP) of the items he bought = CP of a pair of jeans + CP of two shirts = Rs.(1450 + 850 + 850) = Rs. 3150  Selling price of these items = (100- 10)% of Rs. 3150 = 90% x Rs.3150 = Rs. 2835  The customer has to pay Rs. 2835. 

5  A VCR and TV were bought for Rs 8,000 each. The shopkeeper made a loss of 4% on the VCR and a profit of 8% on the TV. Find the gain or loss percent on the whole transaction.

Given, The cost price of the VCR = Rs. 8000 The cost price of TV = Rs. 8000 Now, He made a loss of 4% on VCR.  Selling price (SP) of the VCR = (100-4)% of CP = 96% x Rs. 8000 = Rs. 7680 Again, He made a profit of 8% on TV.  Selling price (SP) of the TV = (100+8)% of CP = 108% x Rs. 8000 = Rs. 8640 Net Selling price = Rs. (7680 + 8640) = Rs. 16320 Net Cost price = Rs. (2x8000) = Rs....

4  The cost of an article was Rs 15,500. Rs 450 was spent on its repairs. If it is sold on a profit of 15%, find the selling price of one article. 

Given, Cost of the article = Rs. 15500 Cost of repair = Rs. 450  Cost price(CP) of the article = Rs. (15500 + 450) = Rs. 15950 Profit percentage = 15%          Profit amount = 15% of Rs.15950 = Rs. 2392.50          Selling Price = Rs.(15950 + 2392.50) = Rs. 18342.50                                         OR          Selling price (SP) of the article = CP + Profit = CP + (15% of CP)         =...

3  A shopkeeper buys 80 articles for Rs 2,400 and sells them for a profit of 16%. Find the selling price of one article.

Given, Cost price (CP) of the 80 articles = Rs. 2,400 Profit percentage = 16%  Profit amount on all 80 articles = 16% of 2400 = 16/100 x 2400 = Rs. 384  Selling price of the 80 articles = Rs. (2400 + 384) = Rs. 2784  Selling price (SP) of each item = Rs. 2784/80 = Rs. 34.8 Therefore, Selling price of one article is Rs.34.8

2  On Sunday 845 people went to the Zoo. On Monday only 169 people went. What is the percent decrease in the people visiting the Zoo on Monday?

 

Given, Number of people who went to the zoo on Sunday = 845 Number of people who went to the zoo on Monday = 169  The decrease in the number of people visiting the zoo = (845 - 169) = 676  Percentage decrease             (Decrease from the original number) The percent decrease in the people visiting the Zoo is 80%

A man got a 10% increase in his salary. If his new salary is Rs 1,54,000, find his original salary.

Given, Percentage increase in the salary = 10% Therefore, if the original salary was Rs. 100, the new salary is Rs. 110 If new salary is Rs 1,54,000, the original salary was            Therefore, the original salary was Rs. 14,00,00.
Exams
Articles
Questions