Alimentary canal of man: It measures about 8 to 10 meters starting from mouth and extends till anus.
- Mouth: It consists of oral cavity which contains the lips, inside lining of the lips and cheeks, teeth, gums, the front two-thirds of the tongue, the floor of the mouth below the tongue, and the bony roof of the mouth.
Food in broken into small parts and salivary glands secrete saliva which is mixed with the food by the tongue.
- Pharynx: Oral cavity opens into pharynx. Swallowing mechanism guides masticated food down to stomach.
- Oesophagus: A muscular tube connecting pharynx to stomach. Muscular movement in the oesophagus moves the food to stomach.
- Stomach: It is a J-shaped sac like muscular structure where masticated food is mixed with gastric juices which are secreted by the lining of stomach.
- Small intestine: It is a tube like structure about 6 meters where pancreatic juice and bile juice gets mixed. Small intestine is rich with blood vessels where chemical digestion happens and the food is absorbed and delivered to all the parts of body.
- Large intestine: Unabsorbed food is sent to large intestine where water from is absorbed from this food. Rest of it is removed from the body via anus. The exit of waste material is regulated by anal sphincter.
View full answer