Explain the mechanism of photosynthesis.
The process in which green plants convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose in the presence of chlorophyll and sunlight is called photosynthesis.
Step by step process of photosynthesis
1) Sun light is absorbed by the green pigment called chlorophyll
2) The light is converted into chemical energy
3) Water molecule is split into hydrogen and oxygen. Oxygen produced by splitting the water molecule is released into
4) Hydrogen formed by splitting water molecule is utilized for reduction of carbon dioxide to form carbohydrate (glucose)
5) The extra glucose is stored as starch in the leaves of the plant